Hospital stay


The hospital stay was quite the adventure. I remember needing to be attached to some fluid so my hemoglobin level could rise back to a normal level. After we got installed, my fiancé went home to make some food since we hadn’t eaten since lunch. I think I managed to take a nap while he was out. I remember losing track of time during our stay since there was a nurse coming in every 3 hours to make me breastfeed Baby. Since I was plugged in everywhere and out of energy, I couldn’t move from the bed. My fiancé had to change the diapers and basically do everything except feed our son. Strange thing is, I didn’t even feel out of energy. I felt pretty normal, but I didn’t look very good. I had a pale, yellow-ish face with dark circles under my eyes.

On our first official day there, we got some visitors. My aunt, her two daughters and my grandmother came first. Then while they were there, my parents arrived. After my aunt left, my fiancé went home to rest a bit more and take a shower. He had been sick that morning. While he was gone, I had to breastfeed, so my parents went to the little lobby they have for these occasions. When I was done, my in-laws showed up. Since I wouldn’t be alone anymore, my parents left so my dad could go work. We also got a call from my fiancé’s sister.  Then at around 7pm my sister, visited us for a bit with her son.

On the second day, the nurse gave me a pamphlet about blood transfusion. She told me I would need one and to read this so I would be informed when the doctor came in to talk to me about it. When the doctor came, we talked a bit. She said I didn’t have to do it, but my level of hemoglobin was so low, it could take me days to recover. I was a bit scared of the transfusion, but I also wanted to be as much in top shape that I could be when we would go home. So I accepted to take the transfusion. I needed two blood bags. Because of that, they had to keep us one more night to check my hemoglobin level in the morning. At some point during that day (I don’t quite remember when exactly), my fiancé left to get some rest and eat. I was alone with my baby. It was fine by me at first since he was sleeping all the time! But after a while, he started crying because his belly was hurting. I spent I don’t know how long trying to console him but nothing would work. I decided to call the nurse, in case he was actually sick or something. She came in, I told her what was wrong, and she took Baby and started massaging his belly by pressing on his ass over and over again. At that point I was attacked by the infamous baby blues. I was crying my eyeballs out. I felt like, since I had to stay in bed for so long and couldn’t take care of my baby for the first day, I didn’t know my own child! She told me it was normal, soothed me and asked if I wanted her to put a sign on the door to let the other nurses know not to disturb me. I said yes, because I clearly needed the rest. She gave him back to me, and I fell asleep with him laying on me. I don’t know how long I slept, but I know it was a very much needed rest. I also remember during that night, I decided to tidy up a bit so we would be ready to leave in the morning. My fiancé was in the bathroom and I was crouching to pick up stuff on the ground. I still had the pole with the liquid pouch attached to me. I lost my balance and just got the time to push away the pole so I wouldn’t land on it. I landed ass on the ground and had to crawl a bit backwards so the needle wouldn’t plop out of my arm since I had given too big of a push to the pole. My fiancé immediately got out of the bathroom, so scared! I was laughing my ass off because he got so worried. He said his heart stopped beating when he heard the noise and made me promise not to do it again. I still find it funny.

On our last day there, we found out my hemoglobin level was still a bit low, but was good enough for me to go safely home. We just had to wait for the doctor to come do his last tests on our boy to make sure he was okay to leave. While waiting, I got to finally put on some normal clothes. It felt good to be dressed in something other than a hospital gown. We had planned to walk home since we lived at not even 5 minutes from the hospital, but my in-laws ended up coming to help us out. While my mother-in-law was home cleaning, my father-in-law came to get us from the hospital. Now that I think about it, I’m very grateful they did that. I don’t think I would’ve made it home. I was still a bit shaky. Coming home was the best feeling ever. We were finally home, in our stuff, with our newborn. No nurses to tell us what to do, or to bother us every half hour. Our little family was home.


Until Next Time!

Young Mom ❤

Previous Post Next Post


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s